Re: [elfling] sindarin to tengwar

  • DDanielA@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 3 1:04 PM
      Teithant silverfingered_fling:
      >i wondered if you might be so kind as to check my tengwar
      >spelling...
      >apaalien
      >short carrier + triple dot tehta - parma + triple dot tehta -
      > short carrier + triple dot tehta - lambe + single dot tehta -
      >short carrier + accent tehta - numen
      >**i don't know how to represent double vowels like the
      >"aa" in apaalien**

      Only one mistake. Yes, it's the 'aa'. The 'aa' represents the long 'a',
      more conventionally spelt as 'a' with an acute accent ( á ). In
      tengwar the word 'apálien' would be spelt: short carrier + triple dot
      teha - parma - long carrier + triple dot tehta - lambe + single dot
      tehta - short carrier + accent tehta - númen. The rest of the Quenya
      and Sindarin transliterations are right. Any time you see a doubled
      vowel in an Eldarin word, that means it's long.