Re: [elfscript] sindarin to tengwar

  • DDanielA@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 3, 2002
      Teithant Donna Mair:
      >i like it, i like it. (Eru tortha vanadh nîn)
      >now all i have to do is convert this to tengwar.

      Easy enough. You indicated in another post that you wanted the tehta
      mode rather than a full-writing mode. The tengwar and tehtar needed in
      this particular sentence are attested in the King's Letter, version III,
      Sindarin mode.

      rómen + accent tehta - short carrier + 'u' curl ... tinco - rómen +
      'o' curl - thúle - short carrier + triple dot tehta ... ampa - númen
      + triple dot tehta - anto + triple dot tehta ... númen - long carrier
      + single dot tehta - númen.

      Personally, I would prefer to use óre rather that rómen for the 'r'
      in 'tortha', but the usage in KL III suggests otherwise.

      Cuio mae, Danny.
    • silverfingered_fling
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 3, 2002
        danny (or anyone):

        in reviewing this post, i wondered if you might be so kind as to check
        my tengwar spelling... i wrote out the below phrase prior to reading
        your directions, and it came out correctly so i think i may be pretty
        close. anyway, i have one sentence written in both quenya and
        sindarin (tehta mode), respectively: "apaalien olorinyar nu talulyat"
        and "peliannen ely nin (accented i) nu dail lin (accented i in lin)."
        This is what i came up with:

        short carrier + triple dot tehta - parma + triple dot tehta - short
        carrier + triple dot tehta - lambe + single dot tehta - short carrier
        + accent tehta - numen...short carrier + o curl - lambe + o curl -
        romen + single dot tehta - numen + triple dot tehta above + double dot
        tehta below - ore...numen + u curl...tinco + triple dot tehta - lambe
        + u curl - lambe + triple dot tehta above + double dot below - tinco.

        **i don't know how to represent double vowels like the "aa" in
        apaalien**

        and for the sindarin transcription:

        parma - lambe + accent tehta - short carrier + single dot tehta -
        numen + line below + triple dot tehta - numen + accent tehta...lambe +
        accent tehta - short carrier + double dot tehta...numen - long carrier
        + single dot tehta - numen...numen - short carrier + u curl...ando -
        anna + triple dot tehta - lambe...lambe - long carrier + single dot
        tehta - numen.

        wow, that was a lot of work. i checked these over really carefully so
        i'm pretty sure i wrote out the tengwa i used correctly. thanks for
        your help

        cuio mae
        nicole
        ps these quotes are in an earlier posting by helge fauskanger if you
        need to look at them. n