"Sea Fever"

  • Jerry Aurand(Fillan)
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 29, 2002
      I know that this is a script group, not a translation one. But maybe someone could tell me where I mind find help to have this poem translated into Quenya/Sindarin:

      "Sea Fever"

      I must go down to the seas again, to the lonely sea and the sky
      And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by;
      And the wheel's kick and the wind's song and the white sail's shaking,
      And a grey mist on the sea's face, and a grey dawn breaking,

      I must go down to the seas again, for the call of the running tide
      Is a wild call and a clear call that may not be denied;
      And all I ask is a windy day with the white clouds flying,
      And the flung spray and the blown spume, and the sea-gulls crying

      I must go down to the seas again, to the vagrant gypsy life,
      To the gull's way and the whale's way where the wind's like a whetted knife;
      And all I ask is a merry yarn from a laughing fellow-rover,
      And quiet sleep and a sweet dream when the long trick's over.

      By John Masefield (1878-1967).
      (English Poet Laureate, 1930-1967.)

      It seem's that to my recollection, most of the vocabulary should be available. Problems: gypsy, yarn, rover, trick. I'm a member of the Mariners Guild at tolkienonline.com, and this would be so right for us.

      I know it's long, but would anyone be willing to try a tranliteration?
      http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup

      http://www.netzero.net/?refcd=N2P0602NEP8
    • Wendy Perkins
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 29, 2002