Re: [elfscript] Aníron teithad i•thîw edhellin.

  • Mans Bjorkman
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 31, 2000
      Danny Andriës wrote:

      > While [the mode of Beleriand used for] Sindarin
      > may have been based on an early Quenya mode, there are some
      > very distinct differences, as well. For example, the use of tyeller 2
      > and 4 for the nasalised stops could not have provided an example for
      > the Sindarin values of those tengwar.

      This seems IMO to be just a natural adaption of the Tengwar to the
      phonology of Sindarin.

      > And since the Sindar had no need for a
      > labialised series (with the possible exception of the frequent
      > combination "gw" ),

      ...which, apparently in the mode of Beleriand and actually in the King's
      Letter modes, was written with g-tengwa + w-tehta.

      > that left both Series III and IV available to
      > represent the velar stops.

      True, but in such circumstances it would seem more logical and
      economical to use series III than IV, especially since the letters in IV
      each requires one pencil-stroke more than those in III.

      > Hopefully more examples will be found in
      > Professor Tolkien's as yet unpublished papers that may shed more light
      > on the various tengwar modes.

      That I am quite sure of.

      > [regarding the unetymological spelling of Quenya _th_ > _s_]
      >
      > I have two theories:
      > 1.) Quenya was no longer a native language to anyone in Middle Earth
      > (except Galadriel [?], being the last of the Noldorin exiles), and
      > scribes automatically wrote a silme to represent the "s" sound as was
      > found in their own native modes.

      Even Galadriel would have abandoned Quenya in favour of Sindarin during
      the First Age. Appendix F states that it was "no longer a birth-tongue,
      but had become, as it were, and 'Elven-latin', still used for ceremony,
      and for high matters of lore and song, by the High Elves", and further,
      that Sindarin "was the tongue of all those Elves and Elf-lords that
      appear in this history."

      Like Angasúle, I agree the most likely explanation for this "error" is
      ignorance. Unfortunately we have to take Tolkien's word for old _th_
      being written with a different letter, since no Quenya specimen
      containing <súle> has been published.

      Nai sarmendilin i vinya loa tyare alasse!
      Måns

      --
      Måns Björkman "Mun þu mik!
      Störtloppsvägen 8, III Man þik.