934úr (e) and yanta (was: Re: úr >> úre )

  • laurifindil
    Jun 4, 2002
      --- In elfscript@y..., "Arden R. Smith" <erilaz@e...> wrote:

      >When _œr_ was first used as a tengwa-name (in the late 1930s, as far >as I=
      can tell).

      As you probably know, Tolkien changed the meaning of stem *UR- in
      "Etymologies" from "be hot" and derivative _œr_ "fire" to *UR- "wide,
      large, great" (p. 396).
      Is there any chance that ms. might help to date when the stem UR- took
      up _again_ the meaning "be hot"?
      Did the meaning "heat" always applied to the tengwa œr >> œre? Never
      "large" or "fire"?

      > the tengwa to which it was applied in fact represented a vowel, as it >do=
      es in such full modes as the Mode of Beleriand.

      Then it is awkward that Tolkien chose that name, beginning with a
      long-u, instead of a short one _u_, since œr was the _tengwa_ for the
      sound /u/, not /u:/. Or am I wrong?

      There are Q. Words which start with a short u : ulunde, usque, etc.

      Was that "discrepancy" ever explained?
      Or maybe it was chosen because it was felt (by the Eldar, not Tolkien)
      to be from the stem *uwr-?

      So since Tolkien wrote the name yanta starting with the tengwa yanta.
      Did he write the word œre in tengwar as <œr>+<—re>, with a sign under
      <œr> or <œr><wilya><—re> ?
    • Show all 9 messages in this topic