931Re: úr >> úre

  • laurifindil
    Jun 3, 2002
      --- In elfscript@y..., "laurifindil" <ejk@f...> wrote:
      > --- In elfscript@y..., "Arden R. Smith" <erilaz@e...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Laurifindil wrote:
      > >
      > > >Tolkien changed úr >> úre between LOTR 1st and second edition.
      Was it
      > > >a typo, or did T. change actually the name from úr to úre?
      > >
      > > Excellent question! Since nearly all of Tolkien's discussions of
      > > tengwar and their names were written before the publication of
      > > _úr_ is the form that is most frequently found in the
      > > However, I am aware of a manuscript page, apparently of late
      > > that does give the name as _úre_, and this form appears on the
      > > three times. So the introduction of _úre_ in the second edition
      > > presumably at Tolkien's request and not a typographical error.
      > >
      > Thank you very much for your reply.

      If I may continue about uur/uure.

      How could the name of that letter be written in tengwar in Q. with
      the use of the tengwa uure itself (as Tolkien writes in Appendix E it
      should be). So far, it looks as if uure was used in Q. only for the
      diphts (Nam.).
      Was uure used in another way, e.g. as a letter for glide u/w in
      the "quata sarme", as I suppose?

      But then uure does not looks as having originated from the stem *wr-
      but *ur- (Ety). Was it just an aesthetic problem then?

      Thank you again.
    • Show all 9 messages in this topic