890Re: [elfscript] nasal vowels

  • Alf Gandson
    May 15, 2002
      Danny teithant:
      >The French tehta mode that I am most familiar with
      >definitely does not follow traditional spelling; it
      is
      >completely phonemic.

      I'd be very intrested in your French mode as I use a
      phonemic one too, but don't know any other. How does
      the mode you mention handle the non-nasal vowels?
      Their number, which can be up to twelve, still exeeds
      about two times the number of Tolkien's standard vowel
      tehtar.

      I'm not very happy with my solution (though it works).
      I mark the difference between the two e-sounds, the
      two eu-sounds and the two o-sounds by doubbling the
      closer versions [unhappy]. As I want to have similar
      tehtar doubbled, I use the Sindarin/Quenya/Westron
      u-curl for the French eu-sound [very unhappy]. I
      represent the closest vowels (i, u and ou) by a point,
      a little _uure_, i.e. a little circle used as tehta
      [unhappy] (I use the _uure_ tengwa for the u-sound in
      _lui_), and a tilde [very unhappy], the most opened
      vowels (front a and back a) by the normal and the
      inverted Sindarin/Quenya/Westron a-tehta. I don't
      write the schwa-e at all [unhappy]. I place the vowel
      tehtar on the preceding tengwa as all French vowels
      can occur at the end of a word (unlike e.g. in
      English).

      suilaid, alf

      =====

      Conectate a Internet GRATIS con Yahoo! Conexión:
      http://conexion.yahoo.com.ar
    • Show all 17 messages in this topic