889nasal vowels

  • DDanielA@webtv.net
    May 14, 2002
      Teithant Alf:
      >Are there other people who write French with a tehtar mode
      >which does not follow traditional spelling? Or Polish,
      >or Portuguese, or other languages with nasal vowels? My
      >question is: What solutions have you found to express these
      >nasal vowels?

      The French tehta mode that I am most familiar with definitely does not
      follow traditional spelling; it is completely phonemic. In that mode,
      nasal vowels are represent by placing the appropriate ómatehta over
      the tengwa 'nwalme'. ('noldo' wold also be a logical choice, but in this
      mode it is used for '-gn-' = [nj].) Ryszard Derdzinski's Polish mode
      uses the 'a' and 'e' tehtar over the long carrier to represented the
      nasalised versions of these vowels. I have seen about six different
      Portuguese modes, but only two of them are tehta modes; those two handle
      the nasal vowels the same as the French mode I spoke of before, i.e. the
      appropriate tehtar over 'nwalme'.