79Re: [elfscript] Quick Question

  • Mans Bjorkman
    Oct 23, 2000
      Arden R. Smith wrote:

      > Måns Björkman writes:
      >
      > >The sign
      > >referred to is a curious character used in the so-called _King's Letter_
      > >(DTS 45, 48, 49) for indicating a labialized /m/ which had become /v/ in
      > >Third Age Sindarin
      >
      > Don't you mean "spirantized /m/" or something similar? /m/ is labial by
      > definition.

      Quite right: I'm afraid my ad-hoc phonemic analyze was much to hasty, as
      Fangorn would have said.

      > >(Daniel's description contains a small error that I
      > >hadn't noticed before, BTW: /m/ is a nasal, not a stop).
      >
      > Yes, /m/ is a nasal, but so is the sound represented by <mh>, more or less;
      > Tolkien describes the sound as "spirant _m_ (or nasal _v_) in his
      > discussion of the Cirth in Appendix E. The m/mh distinction is between a
      > nasal stop (a term that is indeed used in some linguistic textbooks) and a
      > nasal (or at least nasalized) fricative. Such a distinction is not usually
      > made, hence the normal use of the generic "nasal".

      I see. The description of /m/ as a "nasal stop" seems rather odd,
      though. I always pictured the distinction as between a bilabial nasal
      /m/ and a bilabial fricative /mh/, which then turned into a labio-dental
      fricative /v/.

      Yrs,
      Måns

      --