72Re: [elfscript] : Used At All?

  • Johan Winge
    Sep 28, 2000
      At 21:33 2000-09-26 +0200, Måns Björkman wrote:
      >Johan Winge wrote:
      >
      >[Concerning what I described as "a cursive '2' or an upside-down
      ><romen>"]
      >
      >Forgive me, my formulation was ambigous. What I meant was that in DTS
      >17, the tengwa in question resembles a "rómen nuquerna"; in DTS 18 it
      >resembles a cursive "2", as exemplified in line 13.

      Ok, now I follow you! To completely put an end to the confusion I have
      uploaded a picture:
      http://m1.174.telia.com/~u17402402/tolkien/tengwar.gif

      1a is the w-tengwa from DTS-17. 1b is the same tengwa from DTS-18, which I
      mistook for Måns' "cursive 2". I think everyone can agree on that these has
      _nothing_ to do with hwesta sindarinwa.

      2a is from DTS 17 and used in the word "whither".
      2b is from DTS 18, line 13, likewise used for "wh" in "whither".
      2c is also from DTS 18, line 19, used in the word "where".
      2d, which isn't on the picture, is the "cursive L" in DTS 37; the only
      difference between this and 2c is basically that the upper (open) bow is
      much smaller and turns to the right and not to the left, if you see what I
      mean. I'm prety confident that this is only a result of the different styles.

      The difference between 2b and 2c is disturbing though. Maybe Tolkien
      couldn't make up his mind, or he simply forgot how he had wroten it before
      when he came to line 19. But still, why wouldn't he close the bow in 2b if
      it really was a hewsta sindarinwa? But then again, why on earth would he
      use a different tengwa in "where" and "whither"?! Maybe they are the same
      tengwa but _not_ hwesta sindarinwa? (Note how 2b looks like a mirrored
      hyarmen. Hmmm...)

      My opinion is that the 2c and 2d both are examples of hwesta sindarinwa. 2a
      may be the same tengwa as 2b, and 2b may be the same as 2c. If this is the
      case they are all examples of hwesta sindarinwa, as Måns suggested.

      >> >Common for all these is the closed bow to the left of the stem,

      Ok, except for 2b, as you also pointed out.

      [Snipped interesting thoughts on the development of the additional tengwar.]

      Later
      Johan Winge
    • Show all 8 messages in this topic