5461Re: Getting a Tattoo in Elvish

  • j_mach_wust
    Jan 12, 2007
      Johan Winge:

      > On Tue, 09 Jan 2007 18:50:41 +0100, elmac526 <elmac526@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > So, basically, any one of those in your link would work? And you
      > > prefer the first line because it is consistant (with the long
      > > carriers) and uses the Quenya order of writing?
      >
      > That would be more or less my reasoning, yes, but those things are
      > all a matter of opinion. My point is that all would be acceptable,

      I'd prefer a representation of Latin shaped after Tolkien's own Latin
      tengwar text (DTS 41), that is to say, a 'general use' mode with the
      tehtar placed on the preceding letters and with Latin vowel length
      opposition not represented.

      > > Quenya's words end mostly onvowels so vowels as read like
      > > following all the consonants
      >
      > Well, that is one common argument, but I don't know if it is the
      > whole truth. For example, I would expect the syllable structure of
      > the language to have some influence on this.

      That's what I'd expect too. More specifically, I'd expect that the
      VC-order is used in languages that have constraints on final vowels,
      like for instance in the Germanic languages where words must not end
      on checked vowels.

      But then, the tehtar-tengwar order is not that fixed. For English,
      Quenya and Old English we have both orders attested.

      grĂ¼ess
      mach
    • Show all 10 messages in this topic