5460Re: [elfscript] Re: Getting a Tattoo in Elvish

  • Johan Winge
    Jan 12, 2007
      On Tue, 09 Jan 2007 18:50:41 +0100, elmac526 <elmac526@...> wrote:

      > So, basically, any one of those in your link would work? And you
      > prefer the first line because it is consistant (with the long
      > carriers) and uses the Quenya order of writing?

      That would be more or less my reasoning, yes, but those things are all a
      matter of opinion. My point is that all would be acceptable, (though I
      personally do not particularly fancy doubled tehtar, for example; on the
      matter of tehta-order in Latin, I have, as of yet, really no fixed
      opinion.)

      > I also noticed it
      > used the other silme, does the Quenya order require this or can the
      > other one be used as well?

      No, any variant is fine. I used it only because I think it looks neat (and
      because I could).

      On Tue, 09 Jan 2007 21:41:24 +0100, Palatinus <elfiness@...> wrote:

      > The point with Quenya (or else) order of writing has to do with whether
      > most words end on vowels or consonants
      >
      > Quenya's words end mostly onvowels so vowels as read like following all
      > the consonants

      Well, that is one common argument, but I don't know if it is the whole
      truth. For example, I would expect the syllable structure of the language
      to have some influence on this.

      > I don't know which is true about Latin

      Me neither, so I made some informal research on the matter. It seems that
      words ending in vowels are slightly more common than words beginning with
      vowels. For example, in Pliny's letters, we have about 14283 words
      beginning with a vowel (and ending with a consonant) and about 18110 words
      ending with a vowel (even when removing the ubiquitous vale, 'farewell'),
      that is, a 27% difference. An analysis of two of Cicero's speeches gives
      the numbers 1412 and 1664, i.e. 18%. (The analysis got somewhat impeded by
      the fact that I had troubles locating a good corpus: I had to find texts
      that distinguished between "j" (consonant) and "i", but it is
      unfortunately much more common with editions that don't do this
      distinction.)

      Whichever mode is used in this case, it is fortunate that the inital word,
      "quod", gives an interpretation key for the reader who doesn't know what
      mode is used: in most languages (that I am familiar with anyway), the
      consonant cluster /kd/ is not very likely to be word final, and definitely
      not likely to be word initial. Hence, the reader is forced to assume that
      the vowel comes in between, and from that, the tehta order of the text is
      deduced.

      --
      Johan Winge
    • Show all 10 messages in this topic