5232Re: Japanese Mode?

  • hisilome
    Mar 19, 2006
      --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, Arden R. Smith <erilaz@...> wrote:

      > As for /s/ and /z/, I would go with thúle and anto; there's no need
      >to resort to the additional letters if there are perfectly good
      >primary letters lying fallow. I would use óre for /r/ for the same
      >reason.

      [ Fair enough! ]

      > While númen would be good for /nV/ combinations, I'm not too keen
      on the idea of also using it for the moraic /n/ (or whatever you
      want to call it). For that, the preceding-nasal tehta would work
      just fine preconsonantally, but I'm still undecided about how to deal
      with it in final position, maybe by means of a tehta. My thinking
      here is undoubtedly colored by the treatment of final /n/ in Qenya
      alphabets from the 1920s; see e.g. _Parma Eldalamberon_ 14, p. 110.
      Another possibility would be to use óre for final /n/, which would in
      turn necessitate the use of rómen for /r/.
      Or maybe númen for final /n/ wouldn't be a bad thing after all,
      especially if it had a _putta_ (_unutikse_).

      [ Maybe I'd go for that: using the over-bar/tilde for
      preconsonantal /n/, and nuumen, even without a _putta_, for
      final /n/. After all, it is basically the same sound as initial /n/,
      just in a different position/function.

      Then again, Japanese has an independent kana for moraic /n/--I seem
      to recall that it was a relatively late addition to the syllable
      alphabets (I think the syllable-final sound only developed after the
      original kana charts were drawn up). This might speak for the
      solution with oore, maybe both preconsonantally and word-final? ]

      Hisilome
    • Show all 9 messages in this topic