5228Re: Japanese Mode?

  • hisilome
    Mar 19, 2006
      --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, Melroch 'Aestan <melroch@...> wrote:

      > Historically _h_ is derived from *f (actually *[p\])
      > which in turn is derived from *p rather than the other
      > way around, so the most straightforward way would be to
      > use Formen for _f_ -- with w-tehta as a diacritic when
      > _f_ occurs before vowels other than _u_ and under-dot when _h_
      > occurs before _u_. C.f. _huzi/fuji_ which is said to be
      > cognate to Korean _phulson_!

      [ That certainly makes sense: "hu", at least, is often represented
      as "fu" in Romanization (and sounds a lot like it, too--it's actually
      quite hard to pronounce "hu" without turning it into "fu", since for
      the "u" you have to purse the lips so much, and then "h" almost
      automatically assumes an "f"-like quality).
      And the "connection" between "h" and "f" also becomes obvious in
      other environments, for example when native speakers of Minnanyu
      don't discern them clearly when speaking Mandarin, pronouncing
      e.g. "hen" as "fen", etc. ]

      J. 'Mach' Wust wrote:
      > > Anyway, I think the following two problems are even more
      >important:
      > > What to do with loanword syllables such as "ti" or "tsi"? If we
      >use tinco for all of "ta chi tsu te to", then these are problematic.
      >If we use tinco only for "ta ti tu te to", then the natural sound
      >system of Japanese is broken.

      Melroch replied:
      > I suggest using the underdot as a general diacritic for
      > "foreign" pronunciation, thus having an underdot on _ti_
      > to distinguish it from _chi_. The Calmatéma should of
      > course not be used at all...

      [ That's an interesting suggestion, and quite feasible if we don't
      assign the under-dot to any other function. The under-dot would then
      be used in lieu of an entire separate kana alphabet (the
      katakana) which the Japanese employ to make foreign words "stick out"
      in writing... ]

      Hisilome
    • Show all 9 messages in this topic