5227Re: [elfscript] Re: Japanese Mode?

  • Arden R. Smith
    Mar 19, 2006
      On Mar 19, 2006, at 2:15 AM, hisilome wrote:

      >> Whatever it is, it's a very real relation in Japanese. Just look at
      >> _Nihon_ and _Nippon_ as variant pronunciations of the name of
      >> Japan.
      >> Additionally, initial _h_ often becomes _b_ in compound words, e.g.
      >> _hashi_ 'bridge' in the place-name Nihonbashi 'Japan bridge', and
      >> _hayashi_ 'forest, grove' in the family-name Kobayashi 'small
      > forest'.
      >
      > [ Yeah, that sound change's ubiquitous in Japanese, see
      > also "combinations" like "ten minutes" jippun, (minute = fun) etc.
      > (don't think this is strictly speaking a compound). ]

      I thought of an even better example after I had turned off the computer
      and gone to bed last night, at the beginning of the series of numbers
      for counting long, thin objects: _ippon_, _nihon_, _sanbon_ (or
      _sambon_, depending on your preferred Romanization). There you get all
      three right in a row -- bam! bam! bam!

      I'm afraid that I won't have the time to participate as fully as I
      would like in the present discussion. Right now I'm trying to finish
      up a bunch of things in preparation for a trip (coincidentally enough)
      to Japan. But I do personally favor the option of using the same
      tengwa to represent the same kana series, in a fashion similar to
      kunreishiki rômaji (e.g., ta, ti, tu, te, to), even though it doesn't
      capture the phonetic realizations reflected in Hepburn rômaji (ta, chi,
      tsu, te, to). I just really like the systematicity of it.

      Benct's suggestions re f/h are interesting; I'll have to give them some
      thought.

      As for /s/ and /z/, I would go with thúle and anto; there's no need to
      resort to the additional letters if there are perfectly good primary
      letters lying fallow. I would use óre for /r/ for the same reason.

      While númen would be good for /nV/ combinations, I'm not too keen on
      the idea of also using it for the moraic /n/ (or whatever you want to
      call it). For that, the preceding-nasal tehta would work just fine
      preconsonantally, but I'm still undecided about how to deal with it in
      final position, maybe by means of a tehta. My thinking here is
      undoubtedly colored by the treatment of final /n/ in Qenya alphabets
      from the 1920s; see e.g. _Parma Eldalamberon_ 14, p. 110. Another
      possibility would be to use óre for final /n/, which would in turn
      necessitate the use of rómen for /r/. Or maybe númen for final /n/
      wouldn't be a bad thing after all, especially if it had a _putta_
      (_unutikse_). See what I mean by "undecided"?

      Arden R. Smith erilaz@...

      Perilme metto aimaktur perperienta.
      --Elvish proverb