5105Re: Happy New Year Elf Script v5

  • David J. Finnamore
    Jan 2, 2006
      Oh, I forgot to answer your Q.

      --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "j_mach_wust" <j_mach_wust@y...> wrote:

      > David "Daeron" Finnamore wrote:
      > >
      > > After finishing both orthographic and phonemic versions, I liked the
      > > latter a lot better. It's easier to read and just feels and looks
      > > better. The orthographic one is awkward.
      >
      > Why is that? From what you sais, I thought you preferred orthographic
      > transcriptions.

      That was theory. :-) After putting both into practice, I just didn't
      like the look or feel of the orthographic one. While the idea of
      orthographic English appealed more to me intellectually, the actual
      instance of phonemic English appealed more to my aesthetic
      sensibilities. So often true with things of this nature.

      You were right, of course, about some things being like early full
      writing. Since we don't have attested examples for much of what I was
      trying to do, and since the only really long example of Tolkien's
      English writing available to me at present is the page from the Lay of
      Leithien in HoMe 3, I fell back on it when in doubt. I got really
      fascinated with it. I wish I could see an actual size copy. It's very
      grainy in my Del Rey edition.

      David "Daeron" Finnamore
      http://www.elvenminstrel.com
    • Show all 4 messages in this topic