4906Re: Latin (?) Tengwar

  • j_mach_wust
    Sep 3, 2005
      --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, Måns Björkman <mansb@h...> wrote:
      > But surely Tolkien would know the classic
      > pronounciation of Latin? Certainly, but he would also be at home
      > with the pronounciation used in the church -- and I am told that
      > Latin as taught at the beginning of the 20th century often followed
      > the native pronounciation of the speaker.

      In Letters 306 he wrote: "So I grew up in a two-front state,
      symbolizable by the Oratorian Italian pronunciation of Latin, and the
      strictly 'philological' pronunciation at that time introduced into our
      Cambridge dominated school."

      The former refers to the catholic pronunciation, the latter to the
      protestant pronunciation at King Edward's School.

      I don't know what the Oratorian Italian pronunciation is, though as to
      the "Italian" part of it, I imagine _ce ge_ to be pronounced [tSe dZe].