4491Re: Additions and/or alterations to Tengwar Annatar

  • Måns Björkman
    Dec 10, 2004
      --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "Johan Winge" <johan.winge@t...> wrote:

      > On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 15:06:43 -0000, Måns Björkman <mansb@h...> wrote:
      >
      > > [...]
      >
      > > 2) The "a" sign on code point 188 is realised as a shortened telco
      > > with a connecting bar. This, I assume, is based on DTS 17, as in Dan
      > > Smith's fonts. But in DTS 18 and 23, a character closely similar both
      > > in shape and value seems to be based on a lúva covered by a
      connecting
      > > bar instead.
      >
      > I don't know about that. True, there are a few instances where this
      tengwa
      > looks quite much like a luuva + bar, perhaps most prominently so at
      line
      > 18, DTS 18, but for the most part, this is not as obvious, I think. In
      > fact, in the majority of the cases, it looks very much like it is
      drawn in
      > the exact same manner as, say, the short carrier. The bow at the
      bottom
      > end is slightly smaller and more narrow than the luuvar in the text,
      and
      > is in some instances very small indeed, like in line 11. Instead, I
      would
      > say it looks identical to the decorated bottom end of the short
      carrier.
      > Also, in most cases, the supposed luuva connects to the bar almost
      > vertically, insted of turning to the right at its top, as would be
      > exspected from a luuva. In a few cases it is obvious that it is, at
      least,
      > drawn like a short carrier + bar, eg. in the beginning of line 27.
      >
      > DTS 23 is more difficult to analyze, due to the sloppy writing, but in
      > this text too the short carrier exhibits a turning to the right at its
      > lower end. Also consider the appearance of the tengwa in question at
      the
      > beginning of line 11.

      I believe you are right! I was especially convinced by your last
      example, where the bar clearly connects to the telco at its upper
      right (but not covering it, as I have assumed studying other samples).
      It turns out DTS 17 is fairly typical in this case after all.

      Yours,

      Måns
    • Show all 7 messages in this topic