4450Re: Additions and/or alterations to Tengwar Annatar

  • j_mach_wust
    Nov 30, 2004
      --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "Doug Pearson" <pearsond@o...> wrote:
      > Johan Winge posted regarding his Tengwar Annatar:
      >
      > > Is there anything more I should add? :-)
      >
      > I hesitate to ask for this, as it underscores my
      > inherent laziness.
      >
      > In many modes, the English letter 'x' is expressed
      > with quesse plus Dan Smith's "under-tail" [alt 0146].
      > It would be nice for us lazy-bones to have this encoded
      > as a single character.

      Why [ks] and not e.g. [ts] (which I use far more often than [ks]) or
      [ps] as well?

      > Also, a question. According to the Dan Smith's pdf
      > document showing his keymaps, the QWERTY keystroke '
      > (which is just to the left of the <Enter> key) is
      > supposed to produce a medium-width underbar. Also,
      > the upper-case of the same key, ", is supposed to
      > produce a wider underbar.
      >
      > However, in all of Dan Smith's fonts and all of the
      > others that use his keymapping (including Annatar),
      > these keystrokes produce two different widths of
      > the "under-tail". The ' keystroke produces the
      > same tehta which is identical with alt-0146.
      >
      > My problem with all of this is: How the heck am I
      > supposed to get the medium-width underbar with these
      > fonts? Could this be fixed somehow in Annatar?

      I guess this is not a problem of the tengwar fonts, but of your word
      processor. Word processors may replace by default the signs _', "_ by
      _', "_. In Microsoft Word, this option can be unchecked in a menu
      called _autocorrection_ (most probably - I only have the Mac version
      in German).