4324Plain Letters ("orthographic") Mode of King's Letter

  • hisilome
    Nov 1, 2004
      --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "Danny Andriës" tegilbor@h...> wrote:

      While I agree that this is by and large the best (mostly) orthographic
      English full mode there is, I do have a couple of comments/questions,
      which I have interspersed in the text in the relevant places:

      > A long post follows; This is JRRT's Plain Letters Mode for English
      as seen in 'Sauron Defeated':

      > The asterisk (*) is used to mark characters not attested in the
      King's Letter, but which seem logical.

      > > a = vilya
      > > ai, ay = vilya + 2 over-dots
      > > au, aw = vilya + following w sign
      > > b = umbar
      > > hard c [k] = quesse
      > > soft c [s] = silme nuquerna
      > > ch [tš] = calma

      One might add here that "ck" seems to be spelled with quesse +
      under-bar (as in "reckoning").

      > > d = ando
      > > e = yanta
      > > ee = yanta + under-bar
      > > ei, ey = yanta + 2 over-dots
      > > *eu, ew = yanta + following w sign
      > > silent e, schwa = single under-dot
      > > f = formen
      > > g = ungwe
      > > gh (often silent in English) = unque
      > > h = hyarmen
      > > i = short carrier
      > > *j = anga
      > > k = quesse
      > > l = lambe
      > > ll = alda
      > > m = malta
      > > n = númen
      > > ng = nwalme
      > > o = anna
      > > oi, oy = anna + 2 over-dots
      > > oo = anna + under-bar
      > > ou, ow = anna + following w sign

      Why not mark "oo" and "ou/ow" with an asterisk? While the assigned
      tengwa/tehta combinations certainly seem logical, I cannot find these
      two spellings attested anywhere in the three versions of the King's
      Letter (English part).

      > > p = parma
      > > ph = formen
      > > *qu = quesse + following w sign
      > > r = rómen. óre
      > > s = silme
      > > sh = harma
      > > t = tinco
      > > th [þ] = thúle
      > > th [ð] = anto
      > > u = vala
      > > *ui = vala + 2 over-dots

      Here I have to ask: why use the asterisk? This is clearly attested in
      "Baranduin".

      > > v = ampa
      > > w = úre
      > > *wh = hwesta sindarinwa
      > > * = quesse + s curl
      > > y = long carrier
      > > *z = esse (áre)
      > >
      > The choice between 'rómen' and 'óre' follows the usual rules (i. e.
      'óre' before consonants, before silent 'e' and at the end of a word;

      Not necessarily, it seems. Sometimes rómen is used before a silent
      "e", as consistently seen in the phrase "Mayor of the SHIRE".
      Furthermore, word-final "r" is _usually_ also spelt with rómen if the
      next word begins with a vowel (i.e. pronounced "r" is as a rule
      spelled with rómen, even at the end of words).

      'rómen' before all vowels except silent 'e'.)

      Not necessarily (see above).
      Notice also that once (third copy) the "re" in "Shire" is spelt with
      óre - yanta (but that is probably just a "slip-up".

      Hisilome

      > http://www.hotmail.com
    • Show all 9 messages in this topic