4088telco, lúva, hwarma?

  • Arden R. Smith
    Sep 8, 2004
      I was recently reading Helmut W. Pesch's book, _Elbisch_, and something
      on p. 184 struck me as very odd. Pesch describes the three elements of
      which the tengwar are comprised as "Stamm" (Qu. _telco_), "Bogen" (Qu.
      _lúva_), and "Querbalken" (Qu. _hwarma_). The _telco_ (stem) and
      _lúva_ (bow) are known from Appendix E to _The Lord of the Rings_, but
      where did this _hwarma_ come from? The word appears in _The
      Etymologies_, of course, in the entry SKWAR- (_The Lost Road_, p. 386),
      but there it is glossed simply as "crossbar", without any reference
      whatsoever to the tengwar.

      Pesch repeats this information in his Quenya dictionary section (p.
      286), where he glosses _hwarma_ as "Querholz, Sprosse. _Ling._
      Querbalken (der Schrift)" [i.e. "crossbeam, rung. _Ling._ crossbar (in
      writing)"].

      However convenient it might be to apply this word to the stroke that
      closes the bow of a Feanorian letter, there is not (as far as I know)
      any justification of this anywhere in Tolkien's writings, published or
      unpublished. Does anyone know where Pesch might have got this idea?
      Or is it just something that he dreamed up himself?

      This, I think, is the greatest flaw of Pesch's book in general: he
      frequently presents modified forms and hypothetical information without
      any indication that they are just that. At least he gives references
      to the primary materials, so readers can double-check his information.

      Arden R. Smith erilaz@...

      Perilme metto aimaktur perperienta.
      --Elvish proverb