366Re: Devanagari: An Inspiration for the Tengwar?

  • Abrigon
    Dec 17, 2001
      Black Enemy, do you mean in the Elvish or do you mean in Gothic.

      The people who gave the name Goth to the language, but who were
      themselves very civilized once they settled down, but sadly most when
      they became christian, became Arian Christian, which to Catholics was
      a heresy, same with their cousins the Vandals, who have the same
      dislike in the western world. Even if it was the now Catholic
      Visigoths who fell to the might of Islam in Spain. The goths existed
      in the Crimea until around 1700, or so the stories go.

      Goth is a Eastern Germanic lingo, verus the English/German being
      Western Germanic, and Norse (and related tongues) as Northern
      Germanic.

      Mike
      In Sindarian/Quenya it did mean the Black Enemy/Dark Enemy, while his
      first name was Melkor, one who arises in might.. But after Feanor was
      mindly corrupted by him, as well as cause Feanor to revolt against the
      Vala, he was named Morgoth. Partially for his killing of Feanors
      father, as well as poisoning the one tree and like. so that the only
      light of the one tree in the world was the Silmarill.

      cowan@c...
      > Please leave your values | Check your assumptions. In
      fact,
      > at the front desk. | check your assumptions at
      the door.
      > --sign in Paris hotel | --Miles Vorkosigan
    • Show all 15 messages in this topic