3553Re: Transcribing A Phrase into Quenya - can anyone help me?

  • displaced_gurl
    Mar 8, 2004
      Thanks for the response. The tattoo artist who is doing the tattoo for me is also,
      surprisingly, a Tolkien fan so he's going to help me translate the phrase too!

      If the phrase is translated using Elvish letters (you mean, by using Tengwar, is that
      right?), would the phrase be slightly longer? And in your opinion, would the phrase
      appear appropriate using Elvish letters?

      I guess the expression of the phrase I'm going for is karmic. I'd like to have the tattoo
      transcribed appropraitely without having it turn out awkward.

      I will check out other the list you have suggested.

      Thanks much!

      --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "machhezan" <machhezan@g...> wrote:
      > displaced_gurl wrote:
      > > I've
      > > been doing numerous research on the language that was used on the
      > > ring in LOTR
      > > and have found out that it is either Tengwar or Quenya. I'm not sure
      > > how different the
      > > two are,
      >
      > They're as different as, for instance, Spanish is different from the
      > Latin alphabet, since Quenya is a language and the tengwar (literally:
      > 'letters') is a script.
      >
      > > but if you can tell me which one it is, I would appreciate
      > > it!
      >
      > The language is the Black Speech of Sauron, the script is the Elvish
      > one, tengwar (which is the point we're currently discussing: how could
      > the evil use Elvish letters).
      >
      > > Also, I've been looking to transcribe "What Goes Around, Comes
      > > Around" in the
      > > language on the ring for a tattoo I'm getting.
      >
      > We hardly know any more of Black Speech than the Ring inscription, but
      > anyway, you're looking for a translation to an Elvish tongue, most
      > probably to Quenya. I don't know Quenya, but I suppose that the phrase
      > you want to have is almost impossible to translate since it's the use
      > of the word-pairs 'go around' and 'come around' that makes it so
      > special and interesting, and such word-pairs are very specific of the
      > English language. I've been trying to figure out what your phrase
      > would mean in my mother tongue, German, but I didn't succeed. Of
      > course I can translate each word, but I still don't know what you
      > wanted to express.
      >
      > On this list, we can help you to transcribe the English phrase with
      > Elvish letters (after all, Tolkien himself used these letters more
      > often for English than for any Elvish tongue).
      >
      > If you want to have it in an Elvish language, then you should rather
      > ask in the elfling list, but make sure to check out their FAQ first.

      > j. 'mach' wust
      > http://machhezan.tripod.com
    • Show all 3 messages in this topic