355Re: Devanagari: An Inspiration for the Tengwar?

  • Abrigon
    Dec 15, 2001
      Well, since JRRT was either born or raised until like age 10 (?) in
      South Africa, and they have a large Indian population. I suspect he
      had some aquaintence with it before he became a professor.

      Sanskrit is more a syllybary than an alphabet. But I have noticed the
      similiar look before. But from what I have read, there was a gentleman
      in England some 20 years before Tolkien that had an Alphabet that was
      almost exectly in form to Tengwar, maybe not in values.

    • Show all 15 messages in this topic