3539Re: [elfscript] Re: Sauron and the mode on the One Ring

  • Carl F. Hostetter
    Mar 5, 2004
      "Therefore [Melkor] sought means to circumvent the _u'nat_ and the
      unwill. And this weapon he found in 'language'....
      ".... For in days of old, when the Valar instructed the Eldar
      new-come to Aman concerning the beginning of things and the enmity of
      Melkor, Manwe himself said to those who would listen: '.... From the
      first [Melkor] was greatly interested in "language"...; but we did not
      at once perceive the malice in this interest, for many of us shared it
      .... But in time we discovered that he had made a language for those
      who served him; and he has learned our tongue with ease. He has great
      skill in this matter. Beyond doubt he will master all tongues, even the
      fair speech of the Eldar. Therefore, if ever you speak with him
      beware!'
      "'Alas!' says Pengolodh, 'in Valinor Melkor used the Quenya with
      such mastery that all the Eldar were amazed, for his use could not be
      bettered, scare equalled even, by the poets and the loremasters'."

      J.R.R. Tolkien, _Ă“sanwe-kenta_ (published in _Vinyar Tengwar_ 39)
    • Show all 23 messages in this topic