3537Re: Sauron and the mode on the One Ring

  • machhezan
    Mar 5, 2004
      Lucy wrote:
      > he was a spy, he had to pretend he's nice,

      Was he? I only remember that he sat in Tol-in-Gaurhoth, the Isle of
      Werewolves. And there, he wasn't nice at all...

      You're right, he was a Maia of Aule, and he was a sorcerer, so he
      might have a natural interest for matters of writing. Though I imagine
      he would be contemptuous of that Elvish "magic" which is based on a
      high appreciation of language. I imagine that he wouldn't appreciate
      language at all. He would use it for controlling others, but he would
      see that it's a defective tool for the control of other minds and
      therefore prefer other tools, like fear or whatever.

      The tengwar are a fruit of the very Elvish appreciation of language.