327Re: [elfscript] Ascii transliteration for tengwar

  • DDanielA@webtv.net
    Nov 27, 2001
      I, too, have used a tengwar transliteration method based on the numbers,
      and it's not difficult if you have the chart in front of you! To denote
      the ómatehtar, I simply use the corresponding Roman letters: lower
      case for short vowels, upper case for long vowels. There is no need to
      distinguish the extra-long vowels of Sindarin as they are not different
      from the regular long vowels in the tengwar script. Other tehtar and
      other characters in my notation:
      nasal bar: ~
      double bar: _
      short carrier: sc
      long carrier : lc
      following w/u: +w
      's' hook: +s
      following y/i: +y
      halla: h+
      (E. g. 'ando' + nasal bar: 5~ ; 'e' tehta over short carrier: sc-e;
      'hl': h+27; etc.)
      When transliterating a 'full writing' Sindarin mode, I use 'a' to
      represent the vowel symbol (c) since it would not be confused with the
      tehta notation 'a': ómatehtar are not used in full writing modes,
      therefore no confusion would arise.
      'Namárië' would be transliterated thus: 17-a 18-A 25-i sc-e ...
      there is no need to denote the long carrier here because the symbol 'A'
      shows that it must be placed over a long carrier. The symbol 'lc' is
      more useful when describing full writing modes that use it for another
      purpose or for distinguishing between the use of the long carrier and of
      doubled tehtar for é, ó and ú. Doubled ómatehtar could, of
      course, be represented as EE, OO and UU.
      Another example, 'A Elbereth Gilthoniel' in the mode of Beleriand: a
      35 27 6 35 25 35 9 7 sc 27 9 23 21 sc 35 27 .
      I suppose any transliteration system seems cumbersome until you get te
      hang of it!
      Just my thoughts on the subject.