31Re: [elfscript] Tengwar Unicode comments

  • John Cowan
    Apr 19, 2000
      Mans Bjorkman wrote:

      > 6. Missing characters:
      >
      > * The numeric _12_ had a variant form resembling a lower-case _9_, i.e.
      > with a diagonal line descending from the bow of the circle (ibidem).

      Sounds like a glyph-level distinction. Are there any cases where the
      difference actually *makes* a difference to plaintext interpretation?
      That is the general criterion for creating a new Unicode character.

      > * The quotation marks and the _&_ sign used in "Edwin Lowdham's
      > manuscript" may perhaps be excluded because they occur in other writing
      > systems as well; but then the double dots, the acute accent and the
      > breve should be excluded on the same grounds.

      Indeed, I believe that all of these should be unified away in Unicode,
      and represented as font differences, just as the Latin round period
      is unified with the Armenian square period as U+002E.

      > * Tolkien 1965a mentions a variant form of the a-tehta "like a
      > circumflex".

      Again, a font difference only (representing a difference in handwriting).
      Unicode is not supposed to support all possible palaeographic variants.

      > * In the first copy of "The King's Letter", a special variant of xx30
      > TENGWAR LETTER STEMLESS ANNA is used in word-final position.

      More details?

      --

      Schlingt dreifach einen Kreis um dies! || John Cowan <jcowan@...>
      Schliesst euer Aug vor heiliger Schau, || http://www.reutershealth.com