2999Re: [elfscript] Re: help needed.. please? :)

  • Carl F. Hostetter
    Dec 2, 2003
      On Dec 2, 2003, at 4:06 AM, Calwen Rudh wrote:

      > One little question in the end: were we of any help to Idril? I guess
      > not. And that doesn't please me.

      I think it is quite a bit of help -- whether the person being so helped
      realizes it or not -- to show what the actual nature of Tolkien's
      languages is, and how language in general actually works, and the
      pitfalls of attempting to "speak" a poorly-attested language.

      After all, if none of these things concern "Idril", if all she really
      wants it to have something pretty-looking permanently etched into her
      skin, then why not just transliterate the English phrase into Tengwar?

      ho bios brachys, he de techne makre.
      Ars longa, vita brevis.