2996Re: help needed.. please? :)

  • Calwen Rudh
    Dec 1, 2003
      --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, Carl F. Hostetter <Aelfwine@e...>
      wrote:

      > On Dec 1, 2003, at 8:58 AM, Calwen Rudh wrote:
      >
      > > It is true that my English is far from perfect and I will
      probably
      > > never be good enough to speak or know English as a native
      speaker. I
      > > suggested this verb because I thought it could have been used.
      >
      > You seem to be taking this awfully hard! Note that this problem
      with
      > dictionary translation has nothing at all to do with anyone's
      English
      > abilities (well, at least not generally)...

      Sure, still there is no doubt I will never speak or know English as
      you do (I mean you who could have given good advice to Idril), so I
      just came up with my suggestion. I still (after coming home and
      looking into the Etymologies) believe I used the right word if we
      are to use it by extension because _Daro!_ can mean "Stay still" as
      well as "Halt!" or "Stop!". In Etym., it reads: stem _dar-_ stay,
      wait, stop, remain. N deri, imperative daro!, stop, halt; dartha
      wait, stay, last, endure. I still haven't completed my "feeling"
      about Noldorin of Etymologies and its role (its affection) for LotR
      Sindarin but as you know yourself these are _almost_ the same. I am
      just wondering what you would propose? Also, giving such advice
      doesn't mean I've banished Sindarin and gave my heart to Neo-
      Sindarin, calling it Sindarin. I am well aware of the difference and
      I am trying hard to find the appropriate "translation" on my own -
      as I did here. I had _Daro!_ in my vocabulary, with a note from the
      Etym. since I used this in one of my Neo-Sindarin attempts.

      So let's stop this arguing that could have no end. Would you give me
      your DIRECT - if possible - advice, please?

      Thanks. Lucy
    • Show all 16 messages in this topic