2993Re: help needed.. please? :)

  • Calwen Rudh
    Dec 1, 2003
      --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, Carl F. Hostetter <Aelfwine@e...>
      That is why I wrote:
      >> Be aware that mainly the verb is not sure since the ending for
      >> singular "you" is not attested, only assumed.

      I would point out that this use
      > of _dar-_ 'stay, wait, stop, remain' is entirely ad hoc, and likely
      > be entirely inappropriate to the desired meaning. We see _dar-_
      used
      > only once, in the imperative _Daro!_, which Legolas translates as
      > "Stand still!". The primary sense of _dar-_ thus seems to be
      cessation
      > of motion or action. That is not the sense wanted here -- it would
      > yield rather the meaning "You stop my vigor, my joy, my pain".
      Rather,
      > you want a verb expressing endurance or continuance of actiion or
      > state.
      >
      > This is a classic mistake of dictionary-based translation. To avoid
      it,
      > you have to consider _all_ of the glosses together, as well as
      actual
      > usage, to get the full and precise meaning of words.

      It is true that my English is far from perfect and I will probably
      never be good enough to speak or know English as a native speaker. I
      suggested this verb because I thought it could have been used. As we
      use verbs to express something by extension, I thought this could be
      used by extension as well. If not, I am glad you pointed this out,
      I've learned more about SIndarin.

      Then, dear Idril, I have no better suggestion for you since there are
      only unatessted words for expressing your sentence, I guess. Maybe
      Carl could help directly, if it wouldn't be much border for him.

      Sorry.