2991Re: [elfscript] Re: help needed.. please? :)

  • Carl F. Hostetter
    Dec 1, 2003
      On Dec 1, 2003, at 7:32 AM, Calwen Rudh wrote:

      > _Derich i 'orf niin, i 'lass niin, i naeg niin_
      > "[You] remain the vigor my, the joy my, the pain my"
      >
      > Vocabulary:
      > *derich -- "[you] remain": 2 ps sg, stem _dar-_,

      Leaving aside the fact that _-ch_ is nowhere attested as a Sindarin
      pronominal ending meaning 'you' (sg), I would point out that this use
      of _dar-_ 'stay, wait, stop, remain' is entirely ad hoc, and likely to
      be entirely inappropriate to the desired meaning. We see _dar-_ used
      only once, in the imperative _Daro!_, which Legolas translates as
      "Stand still!". The primary sense of _dar-_ thus seems to be cessation
      of motion or action. That is not the sense wanted here -- it would
      yield rather the meaning "You stop my vigor, my joy, my pain". Rather,
      you want a verb expressing endurance or continuance of actiion or
      state.

      This is a classic mistake of dictionary-based translation. To avoid it,
      you have to consider _all_ of the glosses together, as well as actual
      usage, to get the full and precise meaning of words.

      ho bios brachys, he de techne makre.
      Ars longa, vita brevis.