2783Sindarin past-tense from TIR- (was Re: [elfscript] December 16th Movie Trilogy (Help!))

  • Carl F. Hostetter
    Oct 14, 2003
      On Oct 14, 2003, at 8:18 PM, Helge K. Fauskanger wrote:

      > Possibly, "I watched" should be *_tirnin_ rather than *_tirnen_ (and
      > conceivably there are yet other possibilities...*_idiren_, anyone?)

      There is no evidence supporting any of these three proposed past-tense
      formations for Sindarin.

      The Noldorin singular past tense form of the verb _tiri-_/_tiria-_ is
      given as the weak formation _tiriant_ (_Etymologies_ s.v. TIR-). From
      this we can see that the Noldorin pa.t. form was built directly on the
      stem _tiri-_/_tiria-_. So, if Noldorin forms are to be taken as
      supplying otherwise unattested Sindarin forms, the first-person
      singular pa.t. form of this verb in Sindarin would presumably be
      *_tirin_ or *_tirion_ (cf. _linnon_ 'I sing', III:354; _linnathon_ 'I
      will sing' and _nallon_ 'I cry', R:72; where the element _-on_ of these
      1st sg. forms is presumably derived from earlier *_â-n-_, with S _o_ <
      earlier long *_â_).

      Helge's proposal *_tirnin_ appears to assume a weak pa.t. stem
      *_tirn-_, which he presumably has isolated from the Noldorin name
      _Dalath Dirnen_ 'Guarded Plain' (_Etymologies_ s.v. TIR-). But note
      that this Noldorin name appears in the same source, indeed in the same
      entry, as the only attested Noldorin pa.t. form of the verb, _tiriant_.
      Thus, contrary to supporting a theory that the pa.t. stem of the verb
      derived from TIR- is the unattested *_tirn_, the underlying pp.
      *_tirnen_ 'guarded' must be explained in relation to the attested,
      coexistent stems _tiri-__tiria-_ and pa.t. form _tiriant_. The pp.
      *_tirnen_ is thus perhaps to be understood as derived by syncope from
      *_tiri-nen_, again suggesting a Noldorin 1st sg. pa.t. form *_tirin_.

      Helge's other proposal, *_idiren_, presumably is formed on analogy with
      S _agor_ (XI:415), which Tolkien derives from primitive *_akâra_ (the
      circumflex here represents a macron in the published text) and
      describes as characterized by "the 'augment', or reduplicated
      base-vowel, and the long stem-vowel" (thus explaining the appearance of
      S _o_ for earlier long *_â_; note too the apparent stem-vowel *_-a_,
      _not_ *_-e_). There is, of course, no evidence that any Sindarin verb
      derived from TIR- employs this pa.t. formation; but I would point out
      that if this formation mechanism is to be applied, the result is not
      Helge's *_idire-_, but instead *_idíra-_ < *_itîra_.

      ho bios brachys, he de techne makre.
      Ars longa, vita brevis.