2554Re: [elfscript] Tengwar Challenge 5

  • Chris Ruzin
    Sep 1, 2003
      On Sunday, August 31, 2003, at 9:43 AM, DDanielA@... wrote:

      > a-swing: To be absolutely consistant you should've used silme rather
      > than silme nuquerna to represent the 's'. However, in this case the
      > combination of tehtar would've been very awkward over silme, so using
      > the silme nuquerna instead was a wise move!

      I figured this was best because it looked best. The other way looked
      absolutely awful.

      > Other possible considerations:
      > Dunbar: I would've written 'n' with númen rather than the nasal tehta
      > since umbar + nasal tehta = 'mb' rather than 'nb'. Use the nasal tehta
      > only if the nasal you need is in the téma as the following consonant.
      > Otherwise, write the nasal with a separate tengwa.

      I'll try to keep this in mind in the future.

      > by: Following the twice-attested example in the title page inscription,
      > I write 'by' with a long carrier. By analogy, I use the long carrier in
      > words like 'my', 'dying', 'trying', etc. Only in monosyllables where
      > 'y'
      > = [ai], or in present participles where 'ie' = [ai] > 'y'.

      In the title page inscription, Tolkien wrote 'by' the same way I do.
      He also used the same short carrier with y-tehta in the 1st Hugh Brogan
      letter.

      > All in all, good job!

      Excellent! Thanks for the feedback. Hopefully these challenges are
      helping others

      --
      Chris Ruzin
      www.chrisruzin.net