246Re: [elfscript] Re: Devanagari: An Inspiration for the Tengwar?

    Jun 6, 2001
      > > Were there other models [than the Devanagari] for other aspects of the
      Tengwar?

      It has often been suggested that the idea of expressing vowels with
      diacritical marks was based on Hebrew writing. Hebrew is a language (and
      writing) which Tolkien definitely studied; he even translated the Book of
      Jonah for the Jerusalem Bible.

      I agree, though, that the general visual impression made by the Tengwar is
      more similar to the Devanagari than it is to Hebrew (square) characters.

      - Helge Fauskanger
    • Show all 15 messages in this topic