244Re: Devanagari: An Inspiration for the Tengwar?

  • aurandfillan@hotmail.com
    Jun 6, 2001
      Date Posted: Jun/04/2001 6:28 AM

      Yes, perhaps a more acurate heading would have been "Devanagari: An
      Inspiration for Tengwar?".

      One of my hopes for this thread was that someone might turn up
      specific info related to JRRT's knowledge of Devanagari and other
      scripts. It seems curious to me that while there has been a lot of
      discussion of the origins and influences upon his constructed
      languages, I have never seen much thought spent on those matters for
      the Tengwar. Since it is one of the most visible and popular
      expressions of readers interest in LotR, I find that strange.

      --- In elfscript@y..., aurandfillan@h... wrote:
      > When one looks at the Hindi/Sanskrit script, one sees many
      parallels
      > with the Tengwar: presentation as a phonetically based grid, not as
      > linear ABC; the use of diacrtics for most vowels in a syllable;
      and,
      > the use of conjunct consonants.
      >
      > It seems obvious that JRRT must have been using the Devanagari as a
      > model. I wonder if there is any evidence of how and when he was
      > exposed to the system. Was he acquainted with it before his study
      of
      > philology would have exposed him to Sanscrit? Do we know when he
      > started using the Tengwar(as opposed to the Cirth, inspired by the
      > Futhark)?
      >
      > Were there other models for other aspects of the Tengwar?
    • Show all 15 messages in this topic