2432[elfscript] Re: Help with some words...

  • DDanielA@webtv.net
    Aug 17, 2003
      Teithant machhezan:
      > **I assume that by "'a' tengwa" you mean the
      >'c-shaped' 'stemless' calma, right?

      Right.

      >This sample is extraordinarely helpful for the design
      >of an orthogrphic English tehtar mode, as it allows
      >to write most vowel digraphs as one tehta on
      >one tengwa!

      I was surprised to see 'ea' so represented. I still tend to write it
      with two separate tehtar as in the Brogan Christmas Greeting ...when I
      write English in a tehta mode, that is. I more commonly use the KL full
      writing mode.

      > Though the one attested in the word 'dear' in
      >DTS 10 writes the 'ea' digraph with two tehtar on
      >two short carriers.

      Yeah, that one!

      >"vowel digraphs ending on -i/-y: tehta on anna vowel
      >digraphs ending on -e: tehta on yanta vowel
      >digraphs ending on -a: teha on stemless calma vowel
      >digraphs ending on -u/-w: tehta on vala
      "Be aware
      >that in some appearent vowel digraphs beginnin on
      >u-, this 'u' belongs rather together with the
      >preceding consonant, e.g. 'queen, guest, ambigue'.
      >This 'u' should rather be represented with a
      >following-w tehta (the modified left curl, kind of an
      >inverted tilde) at the preceding tengwa."

      I agree.

      >I think there are no vowel digraphs ending on
      >-o (though I'm not sure).

      One comes to mind: the 'eo' in 'people'.

      >If there are, they could perhaps be represented
      >with tehta on uure in analogy to yanta for -e, but this
      >is not attested.

      Mmm ... I wouldn't. To my mind, ├║re is too associated with 'u' and 'w'
      to suggest the 'o' element of a digraph. Maybe that's just me.