2428Re: Newbie with a question

  • Mach Hezan
    Aug 17, 2003
      Welcome on elfscript Rochvelleth!

      > how should you represent the sound written as 'y' but pronounced
      > as a prolonged, fronted 'oo' sound? Is it written as if it were a
      > long 'u'?

      The /y/ sound is either represented with silme nuquerna in 'full writing'
      Sindarin modes or with a dieresis (two points) in the Sindarin tehtar mode.
      As well as the other vowel sounds, it can be short or long.

      > Are there rules for when we count a vowel sound as long
      > (e.g. I believe a ^ marks the vowel as long)? Also, I find it
      > messy when writing diphthongs (partly because I don't use separate
      > symbols, as on Moria Gate, but mark them over
      > consonants/carriers) - are there any rules about that?

      I'm not quite sure what kind of rules you mean. Long vowel sounds (marked
      either with an acute ´ or a circumflex ^ in the Latin transcription which
      seems to be an allophonic distinction), are all marked by an acute ´ in the
      'full writing' Sindarin modes and by putting the vowel tehta on a long
      carrier in the tehta mode.

      The published Sindarin tengwar texts by Tolkien himself express all
      diphtongs either by a combination of a tengwa with a tehta on it or by two
      tengwar.

      There's only one text where the whole diphtongs are put over the consonant
      tengwar: DTS 51, an Anglosaxon text, a very peculiar mode where the first
      (stressed) element of the diphtong is put over the preceding consonant
      tengwa and the second (unstressed) element beyond the same tengwa. But for
      the transcription of Sindarin, I'd recommend you to stay with the attested
      Sindarin modes, after all with the mode of Beleriand, or with the Sindarin
      tehtar mode (which might be of Gondorian origin).

      suilaid
      mach hezan
    • Show all 3 messages in this topic