2427Re: Help with some words...

  • machhezan
    Aug 17, 2003
      Danny teithant:
      > formen - óre + right curl / malta - extended stem hwesta + single
      dot - yanta + triple dot - lambe / silme - númen + right curl /
      extended stem ampa / malta - ando + single dot & under tilde / lambe +
      under dot / 'a' tengwa + accent / óre / thúle .

      **Thanks a lot for this detailed description! I wonder how many of
      these dedications are still out there, spread all over the world,
      undiscovered...

      > (I trust you can decipher that!)

      **I assume that by "'a' tengwa" you mean the 'c-shaped' 'stemless'
      calma, right?

      This sample is extraordinarely helpful for the design of an
      orthogrphic English tehtar mode, as it allows to write most vowel
      digraphs as one tehta on one tengwa! I've always been sad that there
      are so few vowel digraphs attested while Traditional English Spelling
      has so many of them. Though the one attested in the word 'dear' (with
      the 'r' missing) in DTS 10 writes the 'ea' digraph with two tehtar on
      two short carriers. Two samples, two possibilities, so seemingly the
      choice is up to each writer.

      Yet there are some hints in Tolkien's scripts that favour the one-sign
      analysis of vowel digraphs (by 'one sign' I mean also 'one sign +
      tehta'), cf. the numerous cirth that represent vowel digraphs, cf. the
      'classical' Quenya mode where yanta and uure ensure this analysis, cf.
      many texts where every single vowel digraphs is represented with one sign.

      Of course, the splitting of vowel digraphs into two signs is also
      attested, but as I see it, it's less favoured.

      So up from now, I'll suggest the following when someone asks me for an
      English orthographic tehtar mode:

      "vowel digraphs ending on -i/-y: tehta on anna
      vowel digraphs ending on -e: tehta on yanta
      vowel digraphs ending on -a: teha on stemless calma
      vowel digraphs ending on -u/-w: tehta on vala

      "Be aware that in some appearent vowel digraphs beginnin on u-, this
      'u' belongs rather together with the preceding consonant, e.g. 'queen,
      guest, ambigue'. This 'u' should rather be represented with a
      following-w tehta (the modified left curl, kind of an inverted tilde)
      at the preceding tengwa."

      I think there are no vowel digraphs ending on -o (though I'm not
      sure). If there are, they could perhaps be represented with tehta on
      uure in analogy to yanta for -e, but this is not attested.

      suilaid
      mach hezan
    • Show all 7 messages in this topic