24Re: [elfscript] Tengwar

  • Robert Brady
    Apr 13, 2000
      On Thu, 13 Apr 2000, Michael Everson wrote:

      > OK, folks, the draft is available at
      > http://www.egt.ie/standards/iso10646/pdf/tengwar.pdf
      >
      > It is a draft. This will be obvious when you look at it. Comment is invited.

      I'm not convinced about the idea of modes needing particular
      font/rendering logic. Whilst I appreciate that this is done in order that
      the underlying spelling is the same, this isn't really a useful property
      to have : there are only a few Quenya and Sindarin sounds that share the
      same character in their normal modes, and they are different languages, so
      words and names will (in the general case) be spelt differently anyway...

      This would complicate writing a renderer, and make it impossible to
      represent different modes in plaintext.

      apart from that...

      xx2D (short carrier) is mentioned in Appendix E :

      "When there was no consonant present in the required position, the
      /tehta/ was placed above the 'short carrier', of which a common form
      was like an undotted i."

      xx70 - xx7D come from a manuscript that I think was published in /Vinyar
      Tengwar/. Perhaps someone else knows which issue.

      I see no obvious (or subtle) errors.

      --
      Robert
      "Any person who knowingly causes a nuclear weapon test explosion or any other