225Re: [elfscript] precise rules for writing quenya with tengwar

  • Mans Bjorkman
    Apr 16, 2001
      DDanielA@... wrote:

      > Well, there are bound to be differences of opinion until more of JRRT's
      > tengwar specimens surface. Here's where my opinions differ from the ones
      > Jeremie presented.
      >
      > Halla: We have no clear-cut rule. Professor Tolkien's only reference to
      > the 'halla' suggests that it might not have survived into later Quenya
      > in any rôle. His use of the word 'original' is vague. It's possible
      > that 'hr' and 'hl' were written 'hyarmen rómen' and 'hyarmen lambe' in
      > the Third Age. It's possible that there were other alternatives. We
      > don't know.

      Quite true. However, I strongly believe <halla> was, at least, a valid
      alternative still in the Third Age. The footnote says: "... [halla]
      could be placed before a consonant to indicate that it was unvoiced and
      breathed; voiceless _r_ and _l_ were usually so expressed and are
      transcribed _hr_, _hl_." I can only interpret this as saying that some
      of Tolkien's sources actually used <halla> + r/l, which in The Lord of
      the Rings is transcribed _hr_, _hl_.

      > Personally, I doubt the validity of using 'rómen nuquerna'
      > and 'lambe nuquerna' as I've seen some do to represent 'hr' and 'hl'.

      I agree. There is no support for this whatsoever in the sources.

      > Hyarmen: For any word initially? Not so! We have Professor Tolkien's own
      > statement that 'harma' sometimes represented an 'h' initially and was
      > then called 'aha'. The initial 'h' in the word 'harma' was, in fact, a
      > 'harma' (or, rather 'aha', but of course it's the same tengwa!), not
      > 'hyarmen'.

      "No. 11 was called _harma_ when it represented the spirant _ch_ in all
      positions, but when this sound became breath _h_ initially (though
      remaining medially) the name _aha_ was devised."

      So:
      1) <harma> first represented [x] in all positions. The letter was
      pronunced [xarma].
      2) [x] became [h] initially. From this follows that the pronounciation
      became [harma].
      3) <harma> was renamed <aha>, pronounced [axa]. The name change was
      obviously made to retain the pronounciation [x] of the letter.

      > Thúle: For 'th'? In Quenya? Mature Quenya did not possess the 'th'
      > phoneme.

      "TH ... had become _s_ in spoken Quenya, though still written with a
      different letter". QED.

      > Noldo: Professor Tolkien himself tells us that 'ñoldo' can occur
      > medially.

      As far as I know, all he says is that the letter combination NG occurs
      medially, and that the sound of _sing_ "also occurred initally in
      Quenya, but has been transcribed _n_ (as in _Noldo_), according to the
      pronounciation of the Third Age."

      > A tilde over a tengwa: I was under the impression that the nasal sign
      > was originally used in Sindarin because all 'nasal + consonant'
      > combinations possible in Quenya were written with single tengwar. Does
      > anyone know of a Quenya word that would use a nasal sign?

      No, all nasals are covered in the conventional Quenya mode.

      > There is one final vagary: 'anna'. We know that 'anna' must be
      > accompanied by two under-imposed dots to represent the sound 'y' ( or
      > IPA [j]), and that 'anna' alone must have a rôle of a carrier of
      > sorts. Måns uses 'anna' + accent tehta as the first letter of the word
      > 'ëar' in his calligraphy rendition of the Markirya Boat Poem (btw, a
      > beautifully rendered manuscript, Måns!), but is this attested, or
      > simply used to avoid writing two short carriers together? Do we have any
      > information about the use of 'anna' without the dots? Apparently the
      > word 'anna' begins with the tengwa of that name.

      In the short text "Noldorin words for Language" (Vinyar Tengwar #39) p.
      17, we learn that <anna> originally represented [3], i.e. a spirant _g_
      -- a sound that had, in fact, vanished from the language in Feanor's
      time. Although this is entirely unattested, one could therefore
      theoretically use <anna> in positions where this sound occurred earlier.
      That is the way I use it in my _Markirya_ rendition: _ear_ derives from
      earlier *_gayar_ (Tolkien changed his mind several times about the
      etymology of this word, but see The Peoples of Middle-earth, "The
      Shibboleth of Fëanor" note 45). Having said this, it *is* nice to be
      able to avoid consecutive vowel-carriers! :-)

      Yours,
      Måns

      --
      Måns Björkman "Mun þu mik!