2248Re: [elfscript] Re: Tengwar - help with accents and 'umlauts'

  • DDanielA@webtv.net
    Jul 7, 2003
      > > >"The world is changed. I feel it in the water. I
      > > >feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air"
      > >Just don't forget that the "real" Galadriel
      > >_¨never_ said that. Tolkien never wrote
      > >such affected dialogue.
      >Didn't Treebeard say something to that effect,
      >if not exactly that?

      Yep. In RotK, the chapter entitled "Many Partings", Treebeard said to
      Galadriel, 'For the world is changing. I feel it in the water, I feel
      it in the earth, I smell it in the air.' Apparently dropping the word
      'for' and using the past rather than present participle renders the
      sentence 'affected'?

      I would caution against using David Salo's translation on other grounds.
      I respect his scholarship, but David translated this quote before VT #44
      revealed that the Sindarin word for 'in' is _vi_. _ne / ned_ is not
      right, so that means that the translation is not 'good' Sindarin.