2076Re: [elfscript]: consonantal y in "full" Sindarin

    May 8, 2003
      teithant xeeniseit

      > mode and any of them. The Quenya mode doesn't even
      > follow the generally
      > accepted relations between the letters as explained
      > in the appendices. Ther=
      > it is said explicitly that it differs from the other
      > modes. (First sentence=
      > of the
      > sub-chapter "comment" or so, I'm sorry I can't cite
      > the original.)

      it's because didnt base tengwar on Quenya, but in
      general elvish phonology, so that the tengwar could be
      adapted in any language...

      he then adapted Quenya to them, but the adaptation was
      not perfect (not as sindarin or westron) because of
      Quenya's strict rules

      > And if yanta is a modification of anna (of what
      > other tengwa could it be a =
      > modification?), we can assume that in the very
      > original mode we unfortunate=
      > ly
      > don't know of, anna would represent a consonantal
      > y-sound. This could even =

      no, yanta and anna have no relation.. my theory is
      that yanta was used as consonantal y while anna was
      used for a carrier and/or to show early-lost initial
      g- sound (eg. alda from galada or alasse from galasse)

      > lead to the assumption that the calmatιma very
      > originally was a (truely)
      > palatal series. But I'm not sure whether that early
      > Quenya already had pala=
      > tal
      > sounds or whether they only developped later.

      tyelpetema was then for palatalised sounds