1964Re: nasalisation bar

  • DDanielA@webtv.net
    Apr 3, 2003
      Teithant xeeniseit:
      >Of course, this could only occur in a mode which
      >doesn't use the subscript bar as a doubling
      >sign. So the only modes of Tolkien where I
      >could imagine such a postnasalisation are his
      >English modes that don't follow Traditional
      >Do you think the use of the subscript bar as a
      >postnasalisation sign would be possible in these

      Well, if you're designing a 'pesonal' tengwar mode, you are free to do
      what you want, but I would view and under-bar/tilde representing
      postnasalisation to be confusing and very un-Tolkienian. In a strictly
      phonemic mode for English, I would the underbar to represent true double
      consonant sounds (i.e. nĂºmen + under-bar for 'penknife', quesse +
      under-bar for 'bookkeeper'.)