191Re: [elfscript] Re: phonemic english tengwar

  • Mans Bjorkman
    Mar 29, 2001
      Lisa Star wrote:

      > >From: "Stephen Ross" <Monkeyboy007@...>
      >
      > [snipping much]
      >
      > >One sound we found ourselves needing a lot is the schwa, kind of an /uh/
      > >sound (the a in about, the u in under, etc). For this we use the reverse
      > >triple dots (two over one). Presumably this sound didn't occur in elvish,
      > >which is why JRRT never needed a tehta for it, but its one of the most
      > >common sounds in the english language, and we definetly needed sumthin for
      > >it.
      >
      > **something which is used for a schwa sometimes is an "underdot", a single
      > dot under a consonant. You might find it less trouble to write than the
      > three dots.

      Doesn't the underdot rather represent an _e_ that has been lost in
      modern pronounciation? That is how Tolkien uses it in the title-page
      inscription {her(e)in} and in the letter to Hugh Brogan {som(e)},
      {hop(e)}.

      On the other hand, if we look at the early English "full mode" of the
      Errantry and Tom Bombadil inscriptions, we find a tengwa used
      specifically for schwa (written [@] phonetically): a single bow with a
      horizontal line at the top, like a <vilya> without the stem. The
      horizontal line is seemingly always attached to the following tengwa,
      even when it belongs to a separate word (as in {@meri} "a merry").

      > >Anyways, thats what me and my friend do. I'm sure all you phoneticists and
      > >etc will have lots of reasons why we shouldn't do it that way, but hey, it
      > >works well for us! And if the Elves could go around making up modes for
      > >new
      > >languages, why can't we? hee hee
      >
      > **I think you are doing exactly what you should be doing--having fun. The
      > languages and alphabets were Tolkien's plaything, I don't see why they
      > shouldn't be ours.

      I most heartily agree!

      Yours,
      Måns