145Re: [elfscript] Tengwar Parmaite font now available

  • Edward J. Kloczko
    Mar 2, 2001
      Mans Bjorkman a écrit:

      > "Edward J. Kloczko" wrote:
      > >
      > > Mans Bjorkman a écrit:
      > > >
      > > <snip>

      > > > As I understand, the "ligature" double curls only occur in the
      > > > ring-inscription style of writing. Doubled curls may be produced by
      > > > simply writing two consecutive curls.
      > >
      > > The published corpus of tengwar inscription is _very_ small compared to what
      > > Tolkien have done.
      >
      > That is a reasonable speculation, yes.
      >
      > > The double curls could have been "usual" in the "Eregion Mode" (Sauron adapted
      > > it to BS according to "Gandalf").
      >
      > I assume you are referring to Gandalf's quoting Isildur's description of
      > the Ring during the Council of Elrond (so it's actually "according to
      > 'Isildur'")? The ring-inscription is described thus: "It is fashioned in
      > an elven-script of Eregion, for they have no letters in Mordor for such
      > subtle work; but the language is unknown to me [i.e. Isildur]."
      >
      > I don't think this refers to the *mode* used on the Ring, but rather to
      > the graphic style of the letters, or perhaps simply the writing system
      > itself. Double curls were probably common in many modes outside Eregion
      > (where, judging by the Moria Gate, the mode of Beleriand was the most
      > popular for Sindarin). In an alternative Tengwar inscription of the
      > beginning of _Namárie_, *all* vowels except _a_ are written with doubled
      > tehtar whenever possible. I maintain, though, that the *ligature* curls
      > were specific for the writing style used in the ring-inscription.

      I don't have my books ta hand... I still think it is a mode...
      Come back to that later.

      It reminds me that Frodo was (if I remember right) unable to _read_ the
      Ring-inscription, this would point towards the theory that my reconstruced
      "Northern Mode" was in fact the only one used in the Shire at that time.

      EJK
    • Show all 15 messages in this topic