1350Re: tengwa-tehta-order

  • xeeniseit
    Dec 2, 2002
      Danny teithant:

      > Teithant xeeniseit:
      > >Is there any attested example of a mode which has
      > >the vowel tehtar placed on the preceding tengwar
      > >AND uses the bar to represent nasals? I suppose there
      > >isn't, but I better ask others than supposing
      > >anything.
      >
      > Actually there might be. There is no attested example of the nasal
      > bar itself, but there is a poorly attested Sindarin mode where the
      > ómatehtar are placed on the preceding tengwar and where the bar would
      > probably be used to represent nasalisation. In "Artist and
      > Illustrator" we see Tolkien's tengwar rendering of _Lúthien Tinúviel_
      > in this mode, and in the 'Sotheby Letter' we see _Imladrist_ (sic) in
      > this mode. In _Tinúviel_ ampa represents 'v' and in _Imladrist_ ando
      > represents 'd', so we must assume that nasalised stops are not
      > written with grades 2 and 4 as in Quenya. It is logical to assume
      > that the nasal bar would be used as in the other known Sindarin
      > tengwar modes.

      Most probably yes. This means that there can be modes where the tengwa-
      tehtar order depends on the tehtar you have. If it's a nasal bar, the
      reading order is tehta-tengwa, but if it's a vowel techta, the reading
      order is tengwa-tehta, and if it's even both, the reading order is
      techta1-tengwa-tehta2 - awfully difficult!

      Is there no possibility to save Tolkien from being the autor of so much
      confusion? I see several ways for doing so:

      1) We can suppose Tolkien'd never have used a nasal bar in a mode which
      places the vowel techtar on the preceding tengwa. But what about the
      example Erestel referred?

      > And what about the quenya sentence 'Menelluin Irildeo Ondolindello'
      > [A&I n°189] ?

      I don't know it. But it seems to kill this supposition (if it's a
      oomatehtar Quenya mode which makes use of the nasal bar).

      2) All human make errors. Tolkien was a human. --> Attested examples of
      modes with changing tengwar-tehtar-order are erroneous.

      3) The nasal bar doesn't come before or after the tengwa it's placed
      above, but attributes the global property of "nasality" to the
      consonant represented by that tengwa (analogous to the underbar, which
      doesn't come after or before the tengwa, but indicates a longer
      duration of the sound assigned to that tengwa).

      4) Who said there was any logic or structure or order or similar
      unnecessary stuff in the tengwar? There's no bad thing about causing
      confusion.

      Anyway, the oomatechtar modes Tolkien used most of the time have a
      constant tengwar-tehtar order. So I suggest we'd claim that modes with
      variable tengwar-tehtar order (i.e. a mode with the vowel techtar on
      the preceding tengwa AND the nasal bar) should be avoided.

      suilaid
      xeeniseit
    • Show all 11 messages in this topic