Helge on _VT_ 45

    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 12, 2003
      The hypocrisy flows freely whenever David Salo or Helge Fauskanger
      chime in, and never more freely than when both are involved, as in the
      latest post by Helge, lovingly approved by list
      owner/moderator/neglector David:

      I'd like to focus the lantern of truth on this little sarcastic
      potshot, referring to the correction of certain typographical errors in
      various Elvish forms:

      > No little nod of acknowledgement that "fellow" scholars had actually
      > figured this out even without access to privileged information?

      To respond:

      1) Helge hypocritically fails to note that his own "fellow" scholars
      had actually "figured out" quite a few such probable errors long before
      his own groundbreaking, pioneering, hard-on-the-heels first-look at
      _Etymologies_ burst on the scene some 10 years after its publication
      (in the meantime lying unnoticed by everyone else, until Helge rescued
      it from neglect -- or so he would have you believe), and yet you will
      search in vain to find the name of even a single such scholar in his
      account: <http://www.uib.no/People/hnohf/errors.htm>

      2) It would serve absolutely no scholarly or otherwise useful purpose
      to note the _guesses_ of other people in a work based on the _actual
      manuscript_. Who on earth would care one whit that Helge had published
      a web page in which he guessed some form is incorrect?

      3) I notice that Helge doesn't bother to point out any of the
      not-infrequent cases where his guesses were _wrong_, or to criticize
      the editors of the "A&C" for not noting that this "fellow" scholar had
      made _wrong_ guesses (such as **_mankar_ for _makar_, **_Dureledh_ for
      _Duveledh_, that _gwedi_ is a misreading, and insisting that N _Anar_
      must be Q).

      4) Just who are the compilers and editors of this work that Helge
      reviews at such length, and criticizes for not naming names? Good luck
      finding out from Helge's review: he hypocritically neglects to mention
      the people to whose long, hard work he is indebted.

      5) Not that this is anything new for Helge. He makes a point,
      conveniently, of singling out new information shedding light on
      "Fíriel's Song", which he himself had analyzed in considerable detail
      on his site at: <http://www.uib.no/People/hnohf/firiel.htm>. You'll
      search in vain on that page, though, for any mention of the _first_
      scholar to have offered a detailed analysis of the poem, Patrick Wynne
      (_Parma Eldalamberon_ 8, published in 1990) -- who, perhaps not
      coincidentally, is one of the unnamed compilers and editors of the
      "A&C". Does Helge suffer from a form of Tourette's Syndrome that makes
      him unable to speak or type the names of "fellow" scholars?

      We get the message, Helge: do as you say, not as you do.

      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 12, 2003
        On Dec 12, 2003, at 3:34 PM, Carl F. Hostetter wrote:

        > 5) Not that this is anything new for Helge. He makes a point,
        > conveniently, of singling out new information shedding light on
        > "Fíriel's Song",

        Helge _also_ neglects to mention that the feature illuminated, that of
        the use of _en_ before past-tense verbs, was pointed out by Pat and me
        in the "A&C" entry. Helge instead hypocritically presents the
        connection without acknowledgment of this fact, as though he were the
        first to draw it.