Re: In defence of expertise

  • pengolodh_dk
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 18, 2011

      > Lastly, I want to clarify that David's response is not the reason I
      > unsubscribed from Elfling (I don't know if my goodbye message there will
      > be published) - just thinking about the matter over the weekend made me
      > realize that that's what I want to do.
      >
      > Best,
      >
      > * Thorsten

      Hi Thorsten,

      Unsurprisingly, your goodbye message was not allowed to pass (unless the moderator is still considering it - I would not hold my breath).

      As a person who holds an interest in the historical sociology of elven linguistics (or is just curious), I would like to know why you left Elfling. Could you post your goodbye message here instead? Maybe other Elflingers would benefit from it as well.

      I hope to see your interesting and illuminating posts on Tolkien linguistics in other forums in the future, or on your web site.

      I stay on Elfling mainly to answer posts that ask about the status of the publication of Tolkien's linguistic manuscripts, so some truthful information about this continuing project will reach Elfling.

      I doubt my (sparse) presence there will be tolerated much longer. But that is not up to me to decide...

      All the best,
      Peter
    • Thorsten Renk
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 27, 2011
        > Unsurprisingly, your goodbye message was not allowed to pass (unless the
        > moderator is still considering it - I would not hold my breath).
        >
        > As a person who holds an interest in the historical sociology of elven
        > linguistics (or is just curious), I would like to know why you left
        > Elfling. Could you post your goodbye message here instead? Maybe other
        > Elflingers would benefit from it as well.

        Hm, sadly the message has indeed not been posted. No doubt the official
        reason is that it's off topic - which is certainly not the real reasons,
        as plenty of off-topic messages do get posted. *sigh* Quite petty, really.

        So, the reason I left Elfling is that in recent years my family has grown,
        and I find myself with less and less spare time to pursue hobbies. At the
        same time, my interests are rather diverse, for example I have spent a lot
        of time last year to develop various techniques for 3-d rendering of
        clouds for an open source flight simulator (when I was younger, I was
        always disappointed in the quality of clouds in flight sims, so it's very
        exciting to be able to do it just as I want it to be...).

        I think that I now understand the outline of Tolkien's language invention
        and the flow of ideas. What's left is (at times rather tedious) work on
        the details, and I find it harder and harder to get myself into that kind
        of work. So I decided that for the mid-future I will pass on the torch - I
        plan to follow what will be going on, but I'll switch to a significantly
        less active role. That amounts to getting out of the (rather
        time-consuming) philosophy discussions on Elfling, discontinuing my work
        on grammar and rigorously declining to do any translations on request.

        The rest of my message was essentially thanks for good discussions, a
        (mostly) good working atmosphere and an apology for some past posts which
        I have come to realize were not appropriate.

        The bit with the good atmosphere is actually true (in case anyone is
        wondering) - I did enjoy the less scholary style of discussion in which
        ideas are simply tossed around, and I had many good inspirations and
        insights on Elfling. At the same time, I did not share the idea that
        banning half of the most knowledgeable Elvish scholars is a good idea, so
        I was also glad that there were other places to discuss.

        So, it's not primarily the Elfling moderation which prompted me to leave,
        but to a good degree it is the large amount of energy it costs to explain
        one's own position and ideas in the background of a conflict that has been
        going on even before I was ever interested in Elvish. I am passionate
        about non-scholarly aspects of Elvish as well - I just don't think
        confusing scholarly work and aesthetic invention is particularly smart, or
        that passing off one's own version of Elvish as the genuine Tolkien thing
        is honest - and I am just tired of explaining that the (subjective) 1000th
        time while carefully paying attention not to insult anyone who is
        dishonest in precisely that way (which was, I admit, often tempting).

        Best,

        * Thorsten
      • Rodrigo Jaroszewski
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 27, 2011
          You'll be missed. All the best for you and your family.

          And yes, those old clouds from way back were awful. :)

          Rodrigo Jaroszewski
          http://elfico.com.br