A message to Dorothea

    Message 1 of 3 , May 31, 2003
      Just want to give a big shout-out back to Dorothea Salo, who featured
      me prominently in her blog today, as a result of noticing my link:

      http://www.yarinareth.net/caveatlector/archive/
      week_2003_05_25.html#e001755

      I also want to tell Dorothea that I have done _nothing_ but highlight
      the disgraceful behavior and hypocrisy of herself and her husband. I
      just haven't. I neither hate them nor wish them "harm" (as she so
      dramatically puts it). I just don't. Though I certainly hate what she,
      and especially David, have done, and the divisive, self-defeatist
      course they have chosen. I really do. And I certainly do not wish them
      well on their current and persistent course of hypocrisy and
      selfishness. I really don't. Whatever "harm" she finds in my words is
      due only to having the light of truth shone back on her and David's own
      words and deeds. It just is. And I can see why she would find truth
      "harmful". I really do.

      Message 2 of 3 , May 31, 2003
        Dorothea Salo likes to portray herself and her husband David as
        innocent bystanders who just happen to have detractors, most recently
        in her blog entry:
        <http://www.yarinareth.net/caveatlector/archive/
        week_2003_05_25.html#e001755>

        Let's take a little quiz, shall we?

        Who is it...

        1) ... that went to the other's house, taking advantage of a friendly
        invitation to make rude and selfish demands of their host, insult him,
        and then write a public account of their private meeting? Is that me?
        No, wait, it's David Salo!

        2) ... that created and moderated a mailing list that has a stated
        policy of zero tolerance for flames and personal attacks, but
        habitually used it to make such attacks, and still permits them to be
        made, against those they dislike? Is that me? No, wait, it's David and
        Dorothea Salo!

        3) ... that created a list that claimed to be scholarly and to require
        evidence for all assertions, but then used it to make frequent,
        baseless accusations about the actions and motives of others, while
        providing exactly _no_ evidence for the claims (because none existed),
        even when challenged? Is that me? No, wait, it's David and Dorothea
        Salo!

        4) ... that constantly accused the other of "silencing" people, again
        without being able to cite even a single instance when challenged, and
        then hypocritically "silenced" the other by banning them from their
        list? Is that me? No, wait, it's David and Dorothea Salo!

        5) ... that claims to be the world's leading expert on Tolkien's
        languages, but has published almost nothing on the subject? Is that me?
        No, wait, it's David Salo!

        6) ... that wages a campaign against intellectual property rights,
        stating openly that they believe that authors and artists should not be
        entitled to the protection of copyright and the enjoyment of the fruits
        of their labor, so as to justify their sense of entitlement to the work
        and knowledge of others; but then delays publication of a (by their
        own account) long-ago written and frequently-mentioned work until they
        can parlay an association with a hugely successful commercial venture
        into a book publication deal that stands to make them a considerable
        amount of money (and on _that_ account, more power to 'em, I say),
        instead of simply publishing the work for free on the Internet? Is that
        me? No, wait, it's David and Dorothea Salo!

        7) ... that accused Bill Welden of lying to the movie producers, of
        being incompetent, of making claims without evidence, and of making
        Tolkien linguists look bad; but themselves made every effort to bring
        attention to their baseless claims, and have _still_ not retracted
        their own baseless accusations or made an apology after Bill was proven
        to be right, nor admitted that _they_ were in fact thus making claims
        without a shred of evidence, and thereby making Tolkien linguists look
        bad? Is that me? No, wait, it's David and Dorothea Salo!

        8) ... that accused Bill Welden of being more interested in "making a
        splash" than in producing scholarship, but has, unlike Bill, sent out
        numerous press-releases touting their expertise on Tolkien's languages,
        despite having published almost nothing on the subject (again, unlike
        Bill)? Is that me? No, wait, it's David Salo!

        9) ... that thinks that the world and everybody in it is answerable to
        their whims and desires, and owes them whatever they want to have or
        know? Is that me? No, wait, it's David and Dorothea Salo!

        10) ... that blames everyone and everything but themselves for their
        failings and failures? Is that me? No, wait, it's David and
        (_especially_) Dorothea Salo! (Just read her blog, folks!)

        11) ... that presents themselves as innocent victims, while in fact all
        their troubles are entirely of their own making, due to their
        arrogance, jealousy, egotism, selfishness, and hypocrisy? Is that me?
        No, wait, it's David and Dorothea Salo!

        12) ... that worked hard for many years with his colleagues to create
        journals of high quality and sound scholarly approach, and
        demonstrating trustworthiness and respect for Tolkien's intellectual
        property rights, thereby catching the notice of Christopher Tolkien and
        so being asked by him to edit and publish Tolkien's linguistic
        writings? Is that me? Well, yes, it is! And that is the _sole_ reason
        that David and Dorothea Salo treat with us as enemies.

        13) ... that wants nothing more nor less than for the others to admit
        their mistakes, to stop making demands of others, to stop making false
        accusations about others, to pay more than lip-service to the
        principles of fairness, decency, accuracy, and scholarship that they
        espouse for Elfling, to end their many attacks and hypocrisies, and to
        simply do the work that they enjoy and let him be free to do the work
        that he enjoys without their harassment? Is that me? You betcha!

        And is that too much to ask? I don't think so. I really don't.
      • ravenduongladash
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 9, 2003
          Siggghhhhhh

          Maybe you guys should just stick to invading Iraq and banning French
          products.